Do not underestimate your ability.
– Geshe Chekawa, “In Advice From a Spiritual Friend”
We all question our abilities at some point or another. We all on the other hand have seen people surviving extreme situations.
Often, when the human body is pushed to the limits, one realises how much more one is capable of doing.
Now, don’t underestimate this. Be aware of what you can do and take on the challenge. Be bold and brave. Embrace what you thought was impossible.
Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life. ~ Les Brown
This is simple isn’t it?
Set your goals. Think about what you want to achieve. And those goals will be the sign-posts on the way to master your life.
In coaching we call these stepping stones. Little achievements to master life and achieve your dreams.
What a week. Sunny weather in London. Full pubs. All flags up for the Diamond Jubilee. Britain is enjoying the summer and it’s Britishness. I cannot imagine to live in any other town or country at the moment.
Of course that comes at a time when we finally exchanged contracts on our new house and we will be moving in 2 weeks time.
Work seems to dominate my life at the moment. So additionally to a lot of stress with the solicitors regarding the house, organising the move etc, it seems that since we got taken over in December, it is like a new job. And my job changed again just now. I might not work long hours at the moment unless I am travelling where I put in two-day-days but that will change soon too. It is very draining though and exhaustive to plan, put together strategies and organise a few things I cannot speak about here. Anyway – it has been 2.5 years since I started at my current job and I made a very conscious decision to turn off my phone and not to check any emails or voicemails for the 2 weeks when I go on holidays. And yes, I like my job 🙂
Holidays might be exaggerated but we move house and I go to a friend’s wedding in Germany. I believe it is time to truly switch off. I even spoke to my boss whilst my wife was in labour, so it is time for a break, recharge, and come back to the new job with more power and strength than before. Whilst I always talk about productivity and energy households, this time I might actually lead by example. I don’t always do hat, for instance I do not take enough breaks.
Anyway. Enough about blowing my own trumpet of how great I am. I just enjoy what I do: simples. But at times you need to realise that you are not non-replaceable. And that’s it.
Let’s see what happened with the family this week? Rohan walks more but not consistently. Fingers crossed he will be properly walking soon. He seems ready but his feet aren’t. As if he had some rubbery bones 🙁 Colin is great, and at an fantastic age. I so enjoy playing with him. Let it be at 6 am in the morning on a Saturday or after 8 whilst having a BBQ with our neighbours. Sometimes you just need to make use of the available time.
My running is going well too. I lost a few kilos and increased my speed. Finally I got a good routine back and my upper back pain has improved a lot too.
The iPad is a great replacement for my netbook. I enjoy the instantly available apps and connectivity on the go. The external keyboard helps with longer emails or blog posts, and for flights I put on some movies.
Two more thoughts to finish off this week.
Our neighbours and us agreed that 3 beers are plenty these days. With us being up at night with the kids and not sleeping great, we cannot cope with more: how old did we get? On the other hand we didn’t have a hangover after half a bottle of really good wine. Overall I drink a lot less alcohol than I used to but that’s the way it goes I suppose. I am up half the night and from 5.30 am. This just doesn’t mix.
The other thought came to me when I met a friend who I see about once a year. He lives two streets down, just got a kid and we used to do Tai Chi together. However, we met for a coffee in the park, including children. We both gave our wives some free time, tried to cope and arrived at this stage in life where coping is probably the better way of describing every day than living. However, I believe that this perception will change once the youngest, e.g. Rohan, will be around 2ish. So another year of worrying, sleepless nights every night, cuddly nights in daddy’s/mummy’s bed and crying in the cot because he doesn’t want to go to bed. From in a year’s time things will improve. Not long now!
I guess this sums up another draining and hot week. One more week to go before my 2 week work break starts. I can focus on the new house, unpack boxes and settle. I will arrive. I hope anyway.
Have a good one,
- Did I also mention that I am going to leave #southeastern territory soon? Wonder if #fcc or #southern are any better. #
- @willrolls no friends? in reply to willrolls #
- Busy day but good day I think. Weekend. And 7 day to my holidays. 🙂 have a good one guys. #
- I'm at mexad LTD (London, Greater London) http://t.co/drd3Yy01 #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYopXbiZ ▸ Top stories today via @ranioramahi @rtb_justsayin #
- RT @ballueder Inspirational Thought: Living our Dreams http://t.co/Xw0pFP6Q #dreams #happiness #
- Defo summer (@ Clock House Railway Station (CLK)) [pic]: http://t.co/LGsPb4BD #
- Passing by (@ Beckenham Recycling Centre) http://t.co/SskVniN3 #
- RT @fitzbr: Ad Trader Conference: How does video RTB differ from display? http://t.co/ghgmMohr via @Adaptv #
- #ff @DannyHopwood @BlackPlastic @Iwantmytrain @SimonHeseltine @davidecorradi @aripap @nickblunden @willrolls @WillemEvanOort @matt_mcgowan #
- #keeponrunning 5 km morning run. Sweet. Warm though but full of energy (given about 4 hrs of sleep) #
- RT @Zen_Moments: If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space. ~ Will Willis #
- Prep for my 2 weeks holidays. Realising I have been connected for 2 1/2 yrs constantly. Wow. Defo time to chill. 8 days to go! #hol12 #fb #
- Watch Hans Rosling's shortest TEDTalk ever http://t.co/zyIHJgLB via @wordpressdotcom #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYopXbiZ ▸ Top stories today via @RealTeamBonang @saidHENRY @Adaptv #
- Always a struggle these days to get out of the house for #breakfastmeeting (@ Clock House Railway Station (CLK)) http://t.co/tixKwwsv #
- RT @TMNinja: Any of these familiar to you? by @productivities "7 Signs That You're Way Too Busy" http://t.co/CmdlEZfV #
- #swatch watch stand at Victoria polishes swatch watches for free. Wow. Great customer service. #
- I'm at London Victoria Railway Station (VIC) (London, Greater London) w/ 16 others http://t.co/BxXk7oUE #
- @jayrstevens Congrats! in reply to jayrstevens #
- Must be the sun but I am in a super duper mood 🙂 #
- you know you have a busy day when you start looking at twitter around 4.30 pm! #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/JWjyrOK0 #
- #keeponrunning 15 degrees at 6 pm. Summer, is that you? #
- I'm at cb consulting (Beckenham, Greater London) http://t.co/MZcq9alG #
- I'm at Caffè Nero (London) http://t.co/agYff4RL #
- Rumors: Report: The Bigger iPhone 5 May Have a Stretched-Out 16:9 Display – @Gizmodo http://t.co/e98oXMj5 #
- Want to Inspire Your Staff? Push Them Out of the Office for a Day
http://t.co/mwZKvF6K via @adage #
- E-X-C-H-A-N-G-E-D #fb #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYopXbiZ ▸ Top stories today via @Indah_olalaaaa @msromany @MartinMov #
- I'm at mexad LTD (London, Greater London) http://t.co/sVMkMEiK #
- So good to be mayor. (@ Clock House Railway Station (CLK)) http://t.co/dSzgDWRc #
- I'm at Kent House Railway Station (KTH) (Beckenham, Greater London) http://t.co/HQx0uSAW #
- @andycocker congrats! in reply to andycocker #
- I'm at London Victoria Railway Station (VIC) (London, Greater London) w/ 7 others http://t.co/jWCOzfcI #
- Cold day. Hot food. (@ Wasabi) http://t.co/OH1rnYRU #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @dellaaHP @louismoynihan @Beet_TV #
- I'm at mexad LTD (London, Greater London) http://t.co/0ipd4gea #
- @willrolls you must have been at work 😉 in reply to willrolls #
- Holding the crown. (@ Clock House Railway Station (CLK)) http://t.co/Hdb4V9ES #
- Now the link 🙂 Improve efficiency – switch off your smartphone http://t.co/VQXoWuaq #worklifebalance #
- Great article on work life balance. #
- RT @CoachHarmen: Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals ~ Jim Rohn #
- @delamothe thanks. Watch out for my paper.li #rtb news too in reply to delamothe #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @dyudian @kattypeyyi @delamothe #
- Good to see people in the industry who you know in the @financialtimes this weekend. @erichwasserman @MediaMath #
- Taking the crown. (@ Clock House Railway Station (CLK)) http://t.co/VWayo6hR #
- I just ousted @raspkerry as the mayor of Clock House Railway Station (CLK) on @foursquare! http://t.co/alU4xPHn #
- RT @andybetts1: Lord Sugar is not too happy at the moment – RT @Glinner: Oh, man. Now that's funny. http://t.co/4b1VeAbv #cfc #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/fqDnrNyO #
- So true! RT @persdevquotes: It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep. ~ Dale Carnegie #
- RT @persdevquotes: Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. ~ Jim Rohn #
- @Iwantmytrain sorry, placed you in Beckenham in reply to Iwantmytrain #
- Fantastic idea! http://t.co/9LMtqgzY #
- @Iwantmytrain hassocks in reply to Iwantmytrain #
- @Iwantmytrain we should do beers before I move away in reply to Iwantmytrain #
Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. ~ Les Brown
Sorry for a row of classic quotes on here.
Many people don’t live their dreams. Many are chasing their “needs” not their “wants”. The money, the career or the life they want to achieve.
Often people forget to see what they have: happiness, children, health, a loving partner.
Are you living and enjoying what you have? Are you chasing what you don’t have? Is the latter fear of something else?
Think about it.
What should I say. An eventful week has passed. Summing up the last weekend, we went to a Christening. It was a Catholic Christening and I still feel a bit awkward to go to Churches. I guess I have been a bit detached from religion if you don’t count Buddhism as one. Anyway, it was a great event, and a nice get together afterwards. I hope, once we move, that we stay in contact with all those fantastic people we met in Beckenham over the last 8 years.
We also got a new neighbour. I didn’t post about it as I didn’t want to be the first one announcing it. A fantastic occurence if you think about it. Whilst having two kids of my onw it is still a miracle thinking a new human being enters this world. I love it and still get a bit sentimental.
Nevertheless our two are more than enough work. Nothing warms my heart more than coming home from work or travel and getting big hugs, kisses and a play about with the boys. I absolutely love and adore them!
I travelled to Milan this week and got a chance to read more of the Joan Baez biography. Page by page I realise what kind of world she used to live in. Segregation, inequality between races and genders. I actually cried a bit when she described her relationship with Dr. King. Those hippies set out to change the world, not to become super rich. Their motivation was “to make a dent” in the universe, nothing else.
Have you thought about the values you are living for? More money, bigger car or bigger house? It doesn’t work like that. It never will. Attachment and greed will ruin our society. Nothing about earning more money, being more successful but at some point you have to stop and think about it. Are a couple hundred more a month worth the additional hassle you have to put in? I guess it depends which level you are talking about but stop and think about it for a moment. Happiness comes from within not out of your wallet.
Making this impact I described above drives me on. Flying to the international offices and making a difference. I enjoy doing that. Having these 19 hours days collapsing at the end of the day with a satisfactory feeling. This is the dent I am making at the moment. On the exact opposite end I enjoy turning everything off during my flight and just relax. That can work wonders too!
Taking these powernaps at 30,000 ft. I love doing that. The 10 minutes after lunch or on the couch on a Saturday afternoon after the boys woke you up at 5:30 again. I guess I am lucky I can do that 🙂
We all followed the Facebook IO on Friday. Isn’t it fascinating that a social media network is worth so much money by the input we all provide. Should we not all have a bit of a share package? After all if we all withdraw our membership Facebook would be worth nothing. Interesting thought, no?
Anyway. Just when I left work on Friday someone stopped me in the street saying “Volker, you remember me? You interviewed me last year.” I didn’t remember him. He thought I was arrogant admitting it and saying he could add me on Linkedin. Crazy. I normally have a good memory but over the last 12 months I met so many people for interviews and business, how could I possibly remember who is who. I guess I was right (arrogant again) to not employ him, as he obviously didn’t make any lasting impression on me.
We spend the weekend on a 3rd birthday party and a school party down in Hassocks. I got some sun and we finished the day with a curry in our local restaurant. We cannot wait to move. Hopefully we finally exchange contracts on Monday. Fingers and toes crossed.
Have a great week.
- I'm at Kent House Railway Station (KTH) (Beckenham, Greater London) http://t.co/znaueEpv #
- @thepaulsilver now that you got 1000 followers… in reply to thepaulsilver #
- @MediaMathEMEA thanks. in reply to MediaMathEMEA #
- RT @Kahanka: I am the Finalist of Best MAD Baby Blog! Please vote for me! Thank you. http://t.co/Z5HqxWOe #MadBlogAwards #
- I'm at mexad LTD (London, Greater London) http://t.co/MQKjNnAQ #
- Haha like it RT @Gu881n5: If Apple were to be valued using the same metrics as Facebook it would be worth 2 Trillion! #
- @BlackPlastic Adam Opel was the inventor of Opel/Vauxhall. Sorry. One of his family members founded my fraternity in Germany. in reply to BlackPlastic #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/FLj7cpXo #
- Catching up on the #apprentice #soshit – #keeponrunning #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/TS8YrVxo #
- Home! (@ cb consulting) http://t.co/ReirzWj3 #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/LA4q7lF8 #
- I'm at Birkbeck Railway Station (BIK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/VxJQRQkD #
- @Beckenham lol. You social media junkie 🙂 of course meant tram. Then again… No, love my teams. in reply to Beckenham #
- RT @ballueder: Hate the ppl on the TRAM. Not all, just most of them. Last tram ride outside Beckenham? (@ East Croydon Tram Stop)… #
- Hate the ppl on the team. Not all, just most of them. Last tram ride outside Beckenham? (@ East Croydon Tram Stop) http://t.co/Q50fvSxR #
- Beam me home please. (@ East Croydon Railway Station (ECR) w/ 2 others) http://t.co/5ddaKrWl #
- Chased Solicitors today. Sorry Mr Ballueder, whilst I recognise your voice I still have to take you through security. exchange then! #fb #
- New personal best from plane to train. #traveltoooften (@ Gatwick Airport Railway Station (GTW)) http://t.co/CTED5AGf #
- I'm at London Gatwick Airport (LGW) (Crawley, West Sussex) w/ 14 others http://t.co/DzIYgmJ9 #
- Waiting to park. Busy today. (@ Gatwick Runway) http://t.co/YWbjypdg #
- @Iwantmytrain i know! in reply to Iwantmytrain #
- Science: Coffee Drinkers Live Longer – @Gizmodo http://t.co/IA5X6D0H #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @sumague_llc @xplusone @charessespieces #
- I'm at mexad Italy (Milano) http://t.co/aS6FiZ0R #
- Up for 19 hours. Good night. #
- RT @SpotXchange: New pics up from the #breakfastXchange Thanks to everybody who attended http://t.co/chIVjhxK @Skipit #onlinevideoads #RTB #
- Love this hotel. (@ Hotel Carlyle Brera) http://t.co/vFvf3SIb #
- #Milano #newventure #wine #
- Wow. What a week! RT @skottzgirl: want to see what goes on in my week?
- might venture out in #Milano for a #Scottish #Tennent's in an #Irish bar. WOW. #fb #
- Va bene. (@ mexad Italy) http://t.co/DXrrDQ0l #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @randyisabella @globaldanceelec @adforminsider @reverendjustito #
- Whoever got the runway on 4sq must be a pilot? Genius. (@ Gatwick Runway) http://t.co/rQbP7uXK #
- Full check this morning. Coffee now, breakfast, Milano. (@ Departure Lounge) http://t.co/JvjyZk4d #
- RT @guardiantech: Twitter now has 10m users in UK http://t.co/13vnOHH6 #
- Tired (@ London Gatwick Airport (LGW) w/ 2 others) http://t.co/yFEbTW79 #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/BTJLCWB4 #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @comtekonline_ #
- RT @cpokane: ATS LONDON is back! Tuesday, September 18: SAVE THE DATE! Bigger and better, http://t.co/XLD8xkLz #
- I'm at mexad LTD (London, Greater London) http://t.co/Muuorsfp #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/UQrlmu83 #
- #keeponrunning another successful run. Yeah! #
- RT @Jordan_Keats: The tai-chi Weekly is out! http://t.co/JmwmLMp5 ▸ Top stories today via @Hulku @championsway @journik @ballueder #
- @andybetts1 certainly tweeting 😉 in reply to andybetts1 #
- How to Start Your Week With Your Batteries Fully Charged http://t.co/Zr7JfAUu via @TMNinja #
- Transform Your Employees into Passionate Advocates (via @Pocket) http://t.co/PlsOxl7X #
- 2 days to go allegedly. (@ Clock House Railway Station (CLK)) http://t.co/SEfEkITS #
- Easy peasy RT @Gu881n5: Great video from @iab explaining real time advertising & its evolution: http://t.co/YsCODU75 #
- @DannyHopwood Sherlock! in reply to DannyHopwood #
- RT @iPhone_News: Nokia Lumia 900 no longer the “best smartphone ever” http://t.co/9DP4Jewd #
- @mexad @DataXu so true! RT @persdevquotes: We get paid for bringing value to the market place. ~ Jim Rohn #
- RT @AncientProverbs: A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. -Chinese Proverb #
- I'm at London Victoria Railway Station (VIC) (London, Greater London) w/ 15 others http://t.co/luxT0Lvz #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @cpokane @adoperations @matthijskeij @sjogia #
- Morning all. Monday. (@ mexad LTD) http://t.co/gAONS7Ck #
- RT @persdevquotes: You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight. ~ Jim Rohn #
- Am I mayor yet? (@ Clock House Railway Station (CLK)) http://t.co/ju3gMIfR #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @red_executive @recsci @digimediapro1 #
- Sunday morning run. Nothing line it. #keeponrunning #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/bN63Cgff #
- @Mitch_M many times. Fascinating story & movie. in reply to Mitch_M #
- Watching avatar. Nothing like it. #
- RT @applenws: iPhone 'Mug Case' Helps You Get A Grip On Your Calls – Inventorspot http://t.co/4GTSFl5B #apple #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/NdJ4m02n #
- Ballueder's #RTB News is out! http://t.co/AYouuLs9 ▸ Top stories today via @ballueder @paulwright66 #
- RT @karaswisher: Apple’s Coming Map App Will “Blow Your Head Off” http://t.co/hcvlQw2L #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/pdRDQuLN #
- Hosepipe ban still in place. Wtf? #
- @MediaMathEMEA thanks for the mention. in reply to MediaMathEMEA #
- I'm at Clock House Railway Station (CLK) (London, Greater London) http://t.co/8vh9tGnT #