I wanted to add some more restaurant reviews.
This one is for Mello, a restaurant in Beckenham.
We went there last night, four of us, and I have to say, this award winning place is amazing. The interior is not as posh as you would expect it to be. Too much pink for my liking with some nice warm coloured pictures/decoration to brighten it up. The setting is great with crystal glasses.
The service is friendly and attentive as well as knowledgeable about the wine. Since the four of us could not decide which wine to choose, we just got 2 bottles, 2 for 2.
The Chianti Classico was medium dry (as suggested) and less typical of a Chianti Classico. The Echeverria Merlot was just perfect for a Chilean Merlot; I am quite curious to try the Echeverria Cabernet Sauvignon which I bought in Harrods yesterday. Harrods has a fabulous wine selection, however, for my liking, too much on the Bordeaux/French side of things.
So much about the wine. The pre-starter was a mushroom soup, homemade of course, and absolutely delicious, very creamy.
As chosen starters we had:
- Poached pear & blue cheese salad with rocket leaves & walnut dressing
- Pressed chicken & foie gras terrine with crushed apple & toasted brioche
- Shiitake mushroom & broad beans salad with pan fried quail egg & mushroom dressing
- Tian of Cornish crab, Morecambe bay shrimp with sweet pepper puree, crushed avocado & toasted rye bread
Main courses consisted of:
- Assiette of pork with creamed cabbage, apple puree, prune & Calvados jus
- Pan roast fillet of English beef with creamed spinach, potato rosti & oxtail croquettes
- Pan roast rump of lamb with braised Puy lentils, caramelized onion wild mushroom, aubergine caviar & red wine jus
Absolutely great. The oxtail croquettes were special, something I have never tried before. Then, the lamb was a little bit stringy, so not as tender as suggested. However, the beef and pork were amazing. Nothing to compare it to and nothing else to say but absolutely stunning!
So, overall, an amazing place to take people, to go yourself and treat yourself.
Mello also offers gourmet nights, something surely worthwhile doing.
Average price I would suggest around £50 per person including wine.
Enjoy and let me know if you liked it.