As recent as 5 years ago I wrote a PowerPoint with the ‘Top 10 Principles of Success’. I rediscovered them by accident when researching for my latest work on ‘Principles of Success‘. The principles are based on my interviews on my podcast, Stories of Success. A lot of success in there.
So in 2013 I collated the following:
1. Begin with the end in mind, focus on the outcome and make sure you have stepping stones which are like mini goals on your todo list for your big goal
2. Communicate: whether it is active listening or understanding people
3. Think Win/Win: sustainable business and business ethics, trust and belief in building a relationship
4. Have fun, be positive about work and enjoy what you are doing; be passionate
5. Reflection: take time off to relax, calm your mind and meditate
6. Time Management, whilst a topic in itself, made it on the list with planning only 70% of your time and using a trusted system
7. Financial Planning: Taking a calculated risk, be able to live of less than you have, creating a buffer for unexpected expenses
8. Helping, developing and coaching others
9. Having mentors
10. Balancing life and stay fit, looking at hobbies and purpose for yourself in life
Fast forward and the Principles of Success I collated from my podcast are not much different.
Success is …
1. Not all about money
2. About improving the world around you
3. A journey
4. Being lucky
5. About balance
6. Created and helped by visualisation
7. About values
8. About routines
9. About meditation and relaxation
10. About Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
11. Accepting failures and move on
12. Having mentors
Over the next few weeks I will go deeper into my learnings from the podcast and share more examples, a more in depth analysis and more content around each principle.
But I love how over the past 5 years things have not changed that much really.
Old vs. New:
– 1 matches 6
– 2 is somewhat related to 2
– 3 is related to 2, but also to 1
– 4 is underlying in 1,2, 4, and 5 – a lot of my podcast guests mentioned to have fun and enjoy themselves
– 5 matches 9
– 6 matches 8
– 7 isn’t really reflected, if it was then in 11
– 8 matches 2
– 9 matches 12
– 10 matches 5
So you can see that there is a lot of correlation and my new principles are very much a development of the old ones, without having taken the old ones into consideration. So it is nice to see that what I developed 5 years ago is still strong today and supported by my own research via the podcast.
Watch this space for more content around success later in the month.
Have a successful day,